Friday, April 30, 2010

What To Do With All That Lettuce, #2

In the search for innovative things to do with lettuce, I have found one other great cooked lettuce recipe -- a real star.  It's not freezable or preservable, which would be ideal when facing an overabundance of any particular food, but it is different, interesting, very quick, and very good.  I think this may become a mainstay in the house.

This one is from The Top One Hundred Pasta Sauces by Diane Seed, another one of my favorite cookbooks, and the kind of book that is particularly useful when faced with such a task as Lisa and I are facing, trying to come up with different ways to use the same foods.

Tagliolini con Gamberi e Radicchio
(Tagliolini with shrimp and radicchio)

1 lb tagliolini (as usual, I just used linguine)
5 Tbs butter
1.25 lbs cooked shrimp (I used the frozen ones that I always keep in the freezer because they're so handy to have available, but big ol' prawns would be lovely here)
10 oz radicchio
10 oz lettuce
1 small glass brandy
2/3 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper

Heat the butter and add the shrimp and the radicchio and lettuce leaves cut into fine strips.  Cook gently for 5 minutes.  Add the brandy and when it has evaporatedadd the cream, salt and pepper.  Cook the pasta.  Drain and stir into the pan containing the shrimp.  Stir well and serve at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment