Friday, April 30, 2010

Butternut -squash ravioli


We received butternut squash a few weeks ago, and I tried out a great recipe from Giada's Kitchen: New Italian Favorites by Giada De Laurentiis which was a butternut squash sauce with shrimp and basil, which I served over linguini.  I thought it was fantastic, but my husband said it was a little too sweet for his tastes.  So I decided to try the sauce again as a ravioli filling.  Now this isn't nearly so intensively Martha Steward obsessive as it sounds -- I certainly didn't make my own pasta.  I just used wonton wrappers. . .  which now that I think of it, may have been where I went wrong.  I have always sworn off making bread products of any kind, and the few times I have tried to make pasta by hand have been a disaster.  But the wonton wrappers, pretty much ended up tasting like wonton wrappers, and half of the fillings leaked out when boiled. 

So, I'm going to keep working on that recipe, and I'll let you know how it goes.  In the meantime -- here's the original from Giada:

Rigatoni with Squash and Prawns 
Serves 4 to 6

6 Tbs Olive Oil 
1 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-in cubes
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1 cup vegetable broth (I used chicken)
1 pound rigatoni pasta (I used linguine)
1 lb prawns or large shrimp
3/4 c whole milk
1/2 c chopped fresh basil
1/4 c grated Parmesan

Warm 3 Tbs of the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the butternut squash, garlic, 1 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper.  Saute the squahs until golden and tender, 5- 7 minutes.  Add the broth, bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until the squash is very soft, another 5-7 minutes.   Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree. 

Cook the pasta and drain. 

Meanwhile, warm the remaining 3 Tbs of olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium high heat.  Sprinkle the shrimp with the remaining salt and pepper and add them to the pan to cook, turning once until just cooked -- about 3 minutes. 

In a large pot over low heat combine the cooked pasta, the squash and 3/4 cup milk.  Stir to combine.  Add the remaining milk if needed.  Add the shrimp, the basil and the cheese.  Stir until warm, and serve!

1 comment:

  1. Karen,

    There are three ways around using wonton wrappers. The first is to make your own, obviously. The second is to use fresh lasagna sheets, but they too may be a little too dry and won't stick together properly--a bit like won ton wrappers. The third is the freezer section at Whole Foods has a frozen ravioli wrapper product, which is very eggy and sticky--both good characteristics for ravioli. I only know this because the made terrible dumpling wrappers at Chinese New Year's, but the leftover pasta made terrific ravioli.

    ReplyDelete